South West Node of the Victorian Drought Hub
- This project is supported by Southern Farming Systems, through funding from the Australian Government's Future Drought Fund.
- SW Victoria
Research QuestionThe Australian Government have established a Future Drought Fund to enhance the resilience of rural and regional communities to cope with the impacts of drought. The fund provides opportunity to invest in research, development and innovative solutions for people and businesses when entering into, during and coming out of drought. In Victoria, the Future Drought Fund activities are led by the University of Melbourne at their Dookie campus. The University have enrolled five regional partners to help with the consultation and implementation of Hub activities. The groups are: Southern Farming Systems, Birchip Cropping Group, Riverine Plains, Gippsland Food & Fibre and Mallee Regional Innovation Centre. With Agriculture Victoria, Federation University, LaTrobe and Deakin Universities.
Research Information & Objectives
Innovation Ag Podcast, Hosted by Kirsten Diprose
Is there such a thing as an innovation roadmap in farming and agriculture? Probably not. But consider this podcast the next best thing. Deciding whether to invest in new agtech? Trying to fund or future-proof your next project? Want to value-add to your business, or maybe just keep up with industry changes? We pick the brightest minds, examine the latest research and map out a step-by-step process to help you implement change. Hear from farmers, scientists, technologists and ag industry leaders - all working towards innovation, improved sustainability and new opportunities in agriculture. We’ll draw out the practical lessons, so you can apply them on farm, in industry or research. We also share the 'fails' too - because no innovation happens without the odd misstep along the way! Hosted by Kirsten Diprose, a Victorian farmer, journalist and agriculture researcher. This podcast has been created by the Victoria Drought Resilience Innovation and Adoption Hub and is funded through the Australian Government’s Future Drought Fund.
Drought Hub Activities:
- Building capacity to manage mental health
- Review of the functioning of the Victorian emergency water supply network
- Understanding the R,D & E needs of the fodder industry
- Containment for livestock
- Correct design of on farm water reticulation systems from the new Southern GWM
- Mapping the farm (Innovation grant)
- Assessing the suitability of existing small farm dams to prepare for, cope with and recover from drought